In Brazil, the official certificate of proficiency in Portuguese for foreigners is Celpe-Bras, issued by the Ministry of Education (MEC).
How to obtain it? Being approved in the Celpe-Bras Exam, developed by MEC and applied by institutions accredited by it, under its supervision.
Nature of the Exam: Written assessment with the duration of 2 hours and 30 minutes and an oralassessment with the duration of 20 minutes. For more information, access the Candidate’s Manual, available here (in Portuguese).
Agencies accredited by MEC to offer the Celpe-Bras Exam:
- Universidade Federal Fluminense
- Other Brazilian universities (see the list here)
- Application centers abroad (see the list here)
Frequency of the Celpe-Bras Exam: Twice a year, usually in April and October.
Where to apply for the exam? Applications must be made here.
- First step: Send the application form and questionaire, filled in completely and correctly, exclusively through the Internet (here) in the period stated in the public call, taking into consideration the official time zone of Brazil (BRT) when submitting your application. Warning: Don’t forget to print out the application receipt at the end of the procedure.
- Second step: Payment of the application fee. In order to do so, the applicant must go to the International Cooperation Office (SRI) at UFF and withdraw the payment slip. SRI’s address is at Gragoatá Campus, Bloco A, 1st floor, Prof. Marcos Waldemar de Freitas Reis Street, São Domingos – Niterói, and the office hours for Celpe-Bras are from 10am to 4pm. The telephone number for more information is +55 (21) 3674-7901.
- Third step: Delivery of a copy of the current identification document (ID card or passport), application receipt via the Internet and the application fee payment receipt at the International Cooperation Office (SRI), where the Individual Part will be scheduled.
- Fourth step: Taking the test.
In conformity with the Decree No 29, of 27th of January of 2010, it is mandatory that the candidates be at least 16 years old at the moment of application and have completed a degree equivalent to the Brazilian Middle School (Ensino Fundamental). Moreover, it will not be admitted, under any circumstances, the application for the exam at one applying center and the taking of it at a different center.